Taco Night Re-Envisioned: Tepache Carnitas Tacos!
We’ve all had Tacos before, but have you ever had TEPACHE Carnitas Tacos?! Our Co- Founders Rafa Martin Del Campo and Alex Matthews teamed up to bring you this classic dish with a De La Calle twist. It’s time your Taco Night got an upgrade, watch and learn how to make Tepache Carnitas Tacos from the pros!
What you need to make yours at home (serves 6-8 people):
- 4 lbs organic pork butt (Score pork on both sides so in will marinade deeply)
- 1 1/2 can of De La Calle Tepache of your choice (we suggest Pineapple Spice or Chamoy)
- 1 whole garlic bulb (minced)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 limes (juiced)
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite taco shells or tortillas
- In a bowl or food processor, place oregano, cumin, black pepper, salt, and chili powder, thyme, olive oil, and garlic, then mix thoroughly.
- Rub the marinade mixture generously around the entire pork butt and place in the slow cooker, dutch oven or cooking vessel of your choice.
- Top the pork with the onion, jalapeno, De La Calle Tepache and orange juice in the cooking vessel.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours. The meat should be tender and nearly falling apart.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker to a large cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. (Don't get rid of the liquid as you will be using it later.)
- Place the shredded pork on a baking sheet.
- Pour 1 cup of the reserved slow cooker liquid over the pork to season.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges.
Serve immediately with tortillas, freshly diced onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. SALUD!
Get your Tepache today for your next Taco Night!